Sexual Addiction/ Compulsive Behaviors
At City Gate we treat those who are suffering from sexual addiction and compulsive behaviors. This includes those who have a persistent pattern of sexual fantasies, urges, obsessions, or behaviors acted out compulsively despite increasingly negative consequences to self or others.
What is Sexual Addiction?
Addiction may be present when one’s sexual behavior results in significant distress and continues in spite of adverse consequences.. Out of control sexual or relationship thoughts or behaviors are blocks to healthy intimacy and can create overwhelming stress. People that are experiencing sexual addiction/compulsivity find themselves doing things that they never thought they would do, and increasing danger or risk can often become an exciting part of the pattern.
Could I be Addicted?
When to Seek Help?
Below is a list of some compulsive sexual behaviors:
- Repeatedly using sexual or romantic obsession to avoid or medicate stress or other unpleasant feelings.
- Engaging in random sex affairs or ongoing relationships that become destructive to the health and well being of one’s self and others.
- Attempting to stop self-destructive obsessions and behaviors, ( i.e., phone sex, strip clubs, massage parlors, pornography, prostitutes, anonymous sex), but failing to do so, despite the risks or consequences.
- Internet cruising for sexual material or anonymous conversation that causes a negative disruption of everyday life.
- Increasing sexual and romantic activities because current level is no longer satisfying.
- Experiencing mood swings created by the obsessive/compulsive pattern.
- Spending a great deal of time obtaining, involved in, or recovering from sexual or romantic behavior.
- Neglecting important social, occupational or recreational activities because of sexual or romantic behavior.
If you, your spouse, or someone you know identifies with one or more of these behaviors, you may need professional and peer support for recovery. Please reach out to the City Gate LRC team to set up an appointment.